Lexi’s Birthday Mussels
Published: September 29, 2022
- Buy the mussels on the day they will be eaten (or the day before at the earliest) and place them in the coldest part of your fridge.
- Clean and debeard the mussels.
- Put the mussels into a lukewarm salted bath for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Sauté onions with oil and butter for 1 minute.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the dry spices (curry powder, paprika, oregano, half of the salt and pepper) to just slightly toast, for about 2 minutes.
- Now we’re on to the simmer portion of the recipe. Add your wet ingredients (apple, tomato, chicken broth, cream, dry wine) into your pan and bring to a simmer.
- Season with the rest of the salt and pepper to taste.
- Once at a simmer, rinse the mussels and toss in with the thyme.
- Blend everything quickly.
- Put on the lid and keep covered until the mussels have opened up all the way.
- Every minute or so pick up the pot and give it a shake.
- Enjoy with a French baguette or whatever’s handy.