- Wash the mushrooms and slice them (if they aren’t pre-sliced). While you’re slicing, pre-heat your Dutch oven or soup pot. Add a tablespoon of vegetable broth and the sliced mushrooms. Sauté the mushrooms until the moisture is released and evaporated and the mushrooms are brown.
- Once the mushrooms are browned, add the garlic, onion, celery, carrots, thyme and sage with an additional tablespoon of broth to the mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the wild rice, diced potatoes and vegetable broth, stirring to combine. Heat on medium-high until you have a rolling boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover the pot, and let the soup cook on a low simmer for 45 minutes, unless the rice instructions call for more time.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the can of coconut milk, stir and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Thom’s family likes to serve theirs with a loaf of crunchy sourdough bread.