Lebanese Spinach Pies
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over the water. Let sit for a minute before stirring to combine. Let sit until frothy, about 10 minutes. In the bowl of a large food processor fitted with a dough blade, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Gradually stir in the oil, then the yeast and water combo, until dough comes together.On a lightly greased surface, knead until smooth and elastic.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add spinach and cook until just wilted. Remove to colander and squeeze out all excess moisture.
- In a medium bowl combine onions with sumac, salt, paprika, black pepper and cayenne. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Squeeze all excess moisture.
- In a small bowl combine lemon juice, olive oil, and pomegranate molasses. Pour over the filling ingredients until just moistened, not wet.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or lightly grease). Divide the dough in half, covering one half as you work. On a large, oiled work surface, roll half the dough until thin, 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. Use a 4 inch wide circle cutter to cut out circles. Place 1 tablespoon filling in the center of each. Pinch together three edges of the circle over the center of the filling. Seal down one side, then across the other to form a pyramid shape. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining circles and other half of dough.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden, 15-20 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.