- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F).
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Mix the yolks with the sugar until they are foamy.
- Incorporate the hazelnuts, the starch and the baking powder into the yolk and sugar mix.
- Thoroughly clean your mixer and beat the egg whites in a clean bowl (easier with a spoon of sugar or two) until they are very firm.
- Carefully fold the stiff egg whites into the dough. The mixture should be homogenous, but you don’t want to destroy the fluffiness of the egg whites.
- Grease an oblong baking tin with butter. If it isn’t teflon coated, put the grated rusk on the buttered tin walls.
- Put the dough in the tin and bake it at 160°C (320°F) for approximately 1 hour on the middle shelf.
- Stick a toothpick into the cake and pull it out. If no dough is on the stick, the cake is done.
- Take the tin out of the oven and let it cool down.
- Turn everything over and carefully remove the tin.
- Add powdered sugar and serve the cake on a nice plate with whipped cream.