Prepare at least two days before you plan to eat
- Peel and roughly cut the onions, apples and carrots. Add all the herbs, spices, salt and sugar. Cover with the vinegar and water mix until the meat and vegetables are fully covered. Leave the meat in the marinade for at least 48 hours.
- Remove the meat from the marinade. Dry it. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put a bit of bacon (a speck, or some pancetta) in a pan. Sear the meat all over. Douse with 1/2 liter red wine and reduce the heat.
- After the wine has reduced a bit, add the marinade (including the vegetables). Cover the pan with a lid and cook on a low-to-medium heat for 1-2 hours, depending on the thickness of the meat.
- After the meat has cooked, strain the sauce, and boil it down; add cream to taste; optionally, add more red wine or cognac to taste.
- Serve the meat, covered in the sauce, along with potatoes and your preferred vegetables.